FUELING FOR PERFORMANCE
Eat smaller frequent meals every 2-3 hours. Aim for 5-6 mini meals/day or 3 larger meals and 2-3 snacks.
- 8:00 am
- 10:00 am
- 1:00 pm
- 4:00 pm
- 7:00 pm
- 9:00 pm
This promotes long lean muscle growth, assures proper pre-workout nourishment for maximum energy, and assures proper post-workout recovery for reduced soreness, enhanced muscle growth, and glucose storage.
- C = Carbohydrate
- P = Protein
- + = High Source
- F = Fat
- - = Low Source
- f = Free
Below is a general guideline of what you should consume prior to workouts or competition:
- Always have a higher carbohydrate with moderate to low protein snack/mini meal at least 2 hours before exercise
- The meal size and timing will vary based off of your class schedule, eating times, how quickly you digest food, and how well you tolerate certain foods before practice (ie: milk with cereal)
PORTABLE FOODS (think carbohydrate + protein)
- Choose a carbohydrate - whole wheat!
- C = Bagel, wheat bread, wrap, pita, rice, potato, wheat crackers
- Choose a protein:
- P = turkey, ham, roast beef, chicken, tuna, eggs, beans, cheese (low-fat), veggie/black bean burger
- P- = hummus, peanut butter
- Enhance - add a free food (vegetable or topping to add vitamins, nutrients, and fiber):
- f = tomato, lettuce, onions, salsa, jelly, honey, laughing cow spread, eat a piece of fruit, nuts, or a cereal bar 1-2-3
- Choose a C = wheat bagel or bread
- Choose a P = turkey, swiss (low fat)
- Enhance = mustard/laughing cow cheese spread… eat an apple!
- Make it Hot: use your microwave
- Tuna Melt: wheat pita pocket (C) +1 pouch tuna (P)+ 1 slice cheddar cheese (C,P,F)
- Egg & Cheese: wheat English muffin (C) + ¼c. egg beaters (P) (cook in microwave dish first) +1 slice swiss (C,P,F)
- You can choose to add 1 slice ham (P) tomato (f), spinach(f) cooked in the egg beater/egg white!
- Dining hall or buy the already cooked “microwave ready” pouches or containers!
- Brown rice cup (C) + ½ c. black beans (C,P) + salsa (f) + pinch of cheese (-C,-P,-F) à frozen “stir-fry” veggies (f)” or sprinkle with almonds (-P,-F)!
- Brown rice cup (C) + chicken breast from dining hall (P) + frozen snap peas àenhance with low sodium soy sauce (save your packets!)
BAKED OR SWEET POTATO
- From dining hall or buy some and poke holes with a fork and microwave about 10-15 minutes
- Plain greek yogurt (P+) (taste like sour cream) + broccoli (f) + pinch of cheese (-C,-P,-F)! Top with $.99 Chili from Wendy’s or buy a can and heat it!
- Beans (C,P)! Salsa (f) and a pinch of cheese (-C,-P,-F)
FAST FUEL (other easy ideas for the dorms)
- Eggs (P) – cook in microwave or egg beaters for less calories and more protein per serving or hard boiled (you can buy a bag of boiled eggs!)
- String cheese (C,P,F)– choose low fat/2% eat as a snack or melt on top of any meal or between any sandwich or bowl of broccoli!
- Soup – Broth or red based soups: Progresso Light Low Sodium, Campbell's Heart Smart
- Healthy Choice Frozen Meals: Healthy Choice Naturals, Kashi, Amy’s Burritos
SUPER QUICK SNACKS (keep these in your backpack, locker, or gym bag before practice)
- PB & Jelly Sandwich
- Trail mix, granola
- Crackers; enhance w/ laughing cow cheese, hummus, or make a “STACKER”: peanut butter, honey, banana OR PB & J
- Fruit (bananas, oranges, apples, grapes) enhance with nut butter
- Fruit: dried (raisins, cranberries, apricots)
- Sports bars/ cereal bar Pretzels
- Fig Newton’s, animal crackers, graham cracker
- Dry Cereal
- Honey packets, 100% gummy snacks